Sunday, August 7, 2016

Blue Slits

By this time of the year in Georgia, the summer starts drawing to a close as the temperature drops and the school year begins. You would never know there was a season outside of the summer in Los Angeles. In fact, it feels like the summer has just begun. So what does one wear on a summer's day LA in the sunny south of the west coast?

I actually initially bought this dress for my 23rd birthday, but it didn't come in time for the festivities. I was really disappointed that I wasn't going to have a chance to wear it. But in coming to the west coast, I was inspired to pull it out of the box and see if I could wear it out for a day on the town. And that's exactly what I did.

Aside from the prints on this dress, I really love the high slits because it gives you such a range to experiment with how you want to wear it. I feel like this look can be dressed up, dressed down, or even in between. I saw someone wear a dress similar to this one as a swimsuit cover up, which I thought was pretty creative. It all depends on your personal preference and where you going.

I ended up wearing the dress to a day party (which seems like another popular thing to do out in LA). Pairing the dress with a pair of high waisted shorts gave the ensemble enough casualty to give it a more laid back attitude vs. an overdressed one. The feeling it gave me while I was wearing it made my day that much better.

I feel like this could've been a very risque look if you wanted it to be, but I wanted to challenege myself to try to go a different direction with it. Using two my favorite staple items (a hat and a choker), I was able create a completely different look than I had initially imagined.

Challenge yourself to create different looks with the same garment. You'd be surprised how many times you can wear one a shirt or dress by simply changing the way you look at it.
Hat - by Amici
Choker - by Leith
Dress - by Ruiyige
Shorts - by Forever 21
Photography by Raheem Udookon

No comments:

Post a Comment