Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Choose Happy

Hey guys! So today's post is going to be another one where I step outside of talking about fashion for a second to discuss what's been on my heart lately. But I still hope to convey the overall message of my post through today's outfit, as I sometimes find it easier to communicate how I'm feeling through what I'm wearing versus what I want to say. I hope that it's alright with you guys if I get a little vulnerable today, because there's a lot on my heart that I feel like sharing. 

Let me start by saying that I haven't really been feeling like myself for these past couple of weeks because every time I turn on the news, or scroll through Facebook, or hit search on google, nothing but devastation and travesty surrounds me. And it's affecting me to the core. It is so difficult for me to see our world being steeped in innocent blood and hatred. It makes me feel heavy with sadness and anger, and naturally I want to be hateful back because that's the easiest thing to do. But I would never promote bashing hatred with hatred. Times like these give me a chance to practice counting my blessings and remaining strong and positive during darker times. My bright, yellow turtleneck and rainbow slide sandals are a few of the things that I am choosing to be today - warm, and happy.


One thing I obviously love to do to stay positive is blog. Nothing gives me more joy than knowing I've had the opportunity to inspire somebody today through what I say and love to do, even if it's only one person. I'll sit in my room and just start putting different ensembles together for long periods of time because that feels therapeutic to me. Looking through magazines, discovering new clothing brands, taking the time to sharpen my craft - that's what makes me happy. Submerge your focus into the things that make you feel good. Take care of yourself by giving your heart and mind a little TLC.

I also like to surround myself with positive people. I honestly don't know where my mind would be without the showering of constant love and support by my friends and family. I personally love spending time alone with myself a majority of the time, but to be under the wings of the people you love is just irreplaceable, and healthy for your well being. If you need something to be positive about, just look at the people who you've given your heart to. But also be cognizant of the negative people you may be surrounding yourself with. If there are people in your life who drain you of your good energy and happy moments, maybe it's time to start asking yourself  "why is it important for me to have this person in my life?".

Spend time outside. Being in the elements is good for your soul. Sometimes all it takes is looking up to the sun or the stars to realize how beautiful life really is. And if you're really a gung-ho nature geek, go out and catch a sunrise tomorrow morning. It's nice to greet the sun every now and then instead of it greet us for a change. As Anne Frank famously said: Look at all the beauty that still surrounds you, and be happy.

I've been trying to learn how to turn off my brain by going outside and meditating, but it's a lot harder than it's cracked up to be. I never knew how much my mind was constantly racing until I tried sitting still for thirty seconds. Also, eat good food and get good rest. You'll be surprised how the simple things can go such a long way in driving you towards fluid happiness.
Believe in something. When I say this, I'm not just referring to religion or politics. I mean stand for something that is bigger than yourself. How is the world going to get remotely better if people can't look outside themselves for a change? Channel that pint up angst into something positive. Volunteer. Protest. Pray. Create something (we all were given the ability to). Get involved with something (anything!) that is going to help better the lives of others. We are all that we've got.

It truly does take a hell of a lot of courage to stay delicate and loving in a world with so much evil residing in it. But if you can find ways to remain positive in these times, then you are already on your way to making this world a better place. I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a place where I have to live in fear for the rest of my life because of what I do or don't believe in, or because of my skin color, or because of the person I choose to become. Although we can't erase the treacherous events that have already passed, we who are still here still have a voice, and still have the luxury of making choices on what to do with that voice. Believing in something is a choice. Doing something about your condition is a choice. Killing innocent people is a choice. Happiness is choice. So choose to do something, and choose to be happy. Happiness is a state of mind - not a condition of reality.
Turtleneck - by L.L. Bean
Jeans - by Forever 21
Sandals - by Mootsies Tootsies
Earrings - by Francesca's
Rings - by Dynamite Thrift Boutique & H&M
Photography by Jazmyn Wormely

1 comment:

  1. Great outfit, I'm in love with your sweater (:
    You are really gorgeous, dear!

    www.caterina-m.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete