Monday, November 2, 2015

Happy Halloween, Mr.J

Anyone who knows me knows I love a good superhero movie. But I'll be honest guys. I don't always go watch these movies to listen to these heroes preach about liberty and justice for all. I go to see them battle a really creepy, really evil, super villain. I think everyone kind of does. A big part of the reason The Dark Knight did so good at the box office wasn't solely because of Batman . The biggest reason why it did so well was due to Heath Ledger's bone chilling performance of The Joker. And to pay homage to one of my favorite villain's in all of cinema, I dressed as The Joker for Halloween this year, with my own spin of course. The inspiration actually came from my excitement to see Jared Leto's new Joker performance in the release of 2016's Suicide Squad (please watch the trailer if you haven't yet). And you know if it's a follow up to Heath Ledger's act, I expect nothing but terror. Today on The Stares, I'll share with you how I put my costume together along with a few of my favorite Joker quotes.

"Jack? Jack's dead, my friend. You can just call me... Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."
"Can't... You... Just... Play... Along?!"

"If you're good at something, never do it for free."
"See, madness, as you know is like gravity: All it needs is a little push!"

"[To Batman] This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object."
" 'Winged freak terrorizes'. Wait til' they get a load of me."

"You have all these rules. And you think they'll save you."
"Why...So...Serious?"

Why are we so fascinated by villains? (And when I say villains, I mean villains who are really good at being villains). I'm not sure. Maybe because there's a particular confidence that villains carry that we just can't understand. Like The Joker. Hell, most people even found him extremely likable if you were talking to him with a blindfold. To be a super villain, you also have to be extremely intelligent. When you're running from the law, I don't think you can be anything less than intelligent. And the last thing I that makes a truly good super villain precisely that is their ability to be as realistic as possible. Its hard to be afraid of a cheesy guy in a cheesy costume threatening to blast the world to smithereens with his super sonic laser gun machine. The villain that will truly strike fear into your heart is the one that could bring chaos at any moment during your day without leaving a trace of predictability. The one you never saw coming because they had the least amount of darkness in them, and then it festered out of unforeseen circumstances. Or the one walking down the street in a normal business suit who seemingly has nothing to hide. Or the guy sitting next to you, right now.
Wig - by (Iguana)
Tie - (Halloween City)
Bodysuit - by Nasty Gal (Nasty Gal)
Socks - (Halloween City)
Ring - by Forever 21(Forever 21)
Photography by Kayla JohnsonMake-up by Jazmyn Wormely

No comments:

Post a Comment